Advantages and disadvantages of parenteral routes
The advantages of parenteral routes are:
• Rapid action of drug.
• Can be employed in unconscious/ uncooperative patients.
• Drugs, which are modified by alimentary juices and liver can be given by this route.
• Drugs, which are not absorbed in small intestine or irritate the stomach can be administered by this route.
• Less safe, more expensive.
• Inconvenient (painful) for the patient.
• Self medication is difficult.
• Chances of local injury at the site of injection.