Geographic Tongue what should be the management?
- erythema migrans lingue
- benign migratory glossitis
- benign migratory stomatitis
- glossitis areata exfoliativa
- glossitis areata migrans
- lingua geographica
- stomatitis areata migrans
Geographic tongue, or erythema migrans, is a relatively common benign condition, primarily affecting the tongue and rarely other oral mucosa sites.
Etiology The exact etiology remains unknown
- Genes, stress, intemperance, excessive consumption of processed foods, deficiency of vitamins, hormonal changes and allergies are some of the major causes of geographical tongue problem.
- allergies, eczema and asthma are considered to be the common causes of geographical tongue problem.
- Hyper-tension, anxiety and stress also are supposed to contribute to a great extent in developing geographical tongue problem
- People consuming the sugar based products and processed foods at large also are the most susceptible ones to the geographical tongue problem.
- The geographical tongue is a genetic problem affecting men, women and children
- But females are commonly affected Due to hormonal changes in their body
- Clinically, the condition is characterized by multiple, well-demarcated, erythematous, depapillated patches, typically surrounded by a slightly elevated whitish border, and usually restricted to the dorsum of the tongue.
- Characteristically, the lesions persist for a short time in one area, then disappear completely and reappear in another area.
- It is generally a painless condition but occasionally there may be soreness or burning sensation specially for during hot and spicy foods.
- The condition is usually asymptomatic, and often coexists with fissured tongue.
- The diagnosis is made clinically.
- lichen planus
- Reiter syndrome
- syphilitic mucous patches
- Do not have any specific medication
- Reassurance of the patient.
- Consume green leafy vegetables and have the diet rich in vitamin B may help
- Zinc supplements are too effective
- Chew the mint candy
- Avoid scrapping tongue
- Do not consume citric fruits like strawberries, tomatoes and pineapple
- Avoid the spicy foods in order to prevent the burning sensation and pain of geographical tongue.