Restoration of Tooth With Light Cure Composite
Initial clinical procedure:
- Scaling and polishing for prophylaxis cleansing.
- Local anaesthesia, if indicated.
- Shade selection –in natural light with wet tooth surface.
- Isolation of operating site –by rubber dam or cotton roll ( with or without retraction cord) and saliva ejector.
Restorative technique :
- Mechanical preparation of the tooth.
- Pulp protection – by Ca(OH)2 , if indicated (within .5mm of the pulp).
- Etching by 32%-37% phosphoric acid for 15-30 seconds with the help of cotton pellets ,foam sponges or special applicator tips or microbrushes(if etchant is liquid )
- The area is rinsed with water for 5 seconds and removal of excess water by clean dry air from the air-water syringe (for enamel only ).if both enamel and dentin have been etched ,the area must be left slightly moistened.
- The etched area is checked for a ground glass or lightly frosted appearance. if inadequate ,re-etching for addition 15-30 seconds.
- Checking the liner-if washed away –reapplication of the liner.
- Placement of matrix and wedge (polyester or cellophane strip for anterior tooth).
- Insertion of the composite in two stages.
- Stage 1: application of bonding adhesive lightly dried with air –syringe and cured for at least 10 seconds.
- Stage 2: application of composite in incremental way with a thickness of 1-2mm with each increments being cured for 40 seconds.
- Removal of matrix and wedge .
- The restoration is cured again from different angles and the restoration is examined for voids or lack of proximal contacts.
- If correction is needed it can be accomplished at this time.
- Contouring of the composite with twelve –bladed finishing burs or special fine-diamond finishing instruments.
- Polishing of the contoured composite restoration with very fine polishing discs, fine rubber points or cups, composite polishing paste.