Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Disorders : Subluxation Definition, Causes, Treatment
Subluxation Definition :
The repeated, incomplete, self reducing excursion of intact condylar head beyond articular eminence, but still within the capsule is called sub luxation.
Pre disposing factors:
1. Ligamentous and capsular flaccidity
2. Eminential erosion & flattening
In a predisposed patient, the following factors act to cause subluxation-
• May be painful:sharp, sudden & severe pain
• Patient may become reluctant to even masticate
• Rest of the joint: May be in 3 ways
-Soft & liquid diet in a small morsel
-Elastic bands for 3-4 weeks: pre fabricated denture type
-IMF for 3-4 weeks
2. Chemical material: like sclerosing agents: na- psylliate, Na morrhuate etc injected in the joint space.
• Capsule tightening procedure: capsulorrhaphy
• Creation of mechanical obstacle or, barrier:
• Creation of new muscle balance:
• Direct restraining of TMJ:
By temporalis fascia at the neck of the condyle
• Removal of the mechanical obstacle:
removing the remaining height of articular eminence.
Category: Oral Surgery